The overall goal of the Mosquito Control Division (MCD) is to enhance the public's health and welfare by safely reducing mosquito populations to a reasonable threshold of annoyance and to maintain control of the potential for the transmission of mosquito-borne diseases.
This goal is accomplished through the provision of an integrated pest management program incorporating physical, chemical and in warranted cases biological control methods based upon a sound, thorough, and accurate surveillance program.
Furthermore, these methods are applied through the utilization of:
- A countywide general maintenance or source reduction program among county waterways such as:
- Roadside ditches
- Stormwater basins
- Handheld tools
- Employment of mosquito predators (depending upon a loss or the absence of mosquito predators indigenous to mosquito breeding habitats in the county)
- Repeated application of insecticides that are registered with both the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and NJ Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to arrive at an instantaneous reduction in mosquito populations
Requests for Services
Throughout the mosquito season, the Mosquito Control Division receives and responds to request from County residents, schools, business and organizations. To request services, call 856-307-6400, Monday through Friday, from 8 am to 4 pm.
Mosquito Control Around the House
- Dispose of old cans, plastic buckets, old tires, or any other containers that may collect and hold water
- Properly dispose of old, discarded tires
- Clean clogged roof gutters annually
- Eliminate water collecting on:
- Boat covers
- Old unused pools
- Pool covers
- Do not allow water to stagnate in bird baths
- Drill holes in bottom of recycling containers left outdoors
- Turn over plastic wading pools and wheelbarrows when not in use
- Eliminate standing water around animal troughs
- Standing puddles
- Tree stumps
For More Information
For further information on the control of mosquitoes and West Nile Virus, visit our Mosquitos and Ticks page.