Thinking about pregnancy? Whether you are concerned about becoming pregnant or planning for a pregnancy there are steps you should take to protect your health and the health of your child.
For women concerned with preventing pregnancy there are steps you can take
- Abstain from sexual activity. This is the only 100% solution to prevent pregnancy and infections.
- Get tested for sexually transmitted infections. The Gloucester County Department of Health offers free screening and counseling. Click here for more information.
- Talk with your parents and healthcare providers about contraception.
- Low cost screening, pregnancy testing and reproductive health services are available through Famcare Inc. in Glassboro http://www.famcareinc.com/
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has a few tips for women who are planning on a healthy pregnancy (Click here for link to CDC website)
5 Steps to Get Ready for a Healthy Pregnancy
- Take 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid every day for at least 1 month before getting pregnant to help prevent birth defects.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol.
- If you have a medical condition, be sure it is under control. Some conditions include asthma, diabetes, oral health, obesity, or epilepsy. Also be sure that your vaccinations are up to date.
- Talk to a health care professional about any over-the-counter and prescription medicines you are taking. These include dietary or herbal supplements.
- Avoid contact with toxic substances or materials that could cause infection at work and at home. Stay away from chemicals and cat or rodent feces.
Pregnancy & Childbirth
A healthy pregnancy and delivery is achievable. Take advantage of resources available to you. The CDC has a list of online resources for pregnant women at https://www.cdc.gov/pregnancy/index.html
In Gloucester County, resources are available for pregnant women and their families.