Blind/Visually Impaired Counseling-Care Management Program

Overview- Services are available to assist Gloucester County residents who are blind or visually impaired.  In-home supportive counseling services assist in resolving temporary stress situations, improving relationships, and general coping with the problems that visual impairment or blindness presents.  Care management services aid in making referrals to appropriate agencies, along with follow-up activities to make sure the necessary services are provided.  Services include independent living skills, socialization/connection to support groups, advocacy and counseling, information and referral.  Services are free of charge.

Eligibility - A person is eligible for services if he or she is a Gloucester County resident, 60 years or older, and either visually impaired or legally blind with best correction, and is experiencing problems in their life as a result of vision loss.

  • Visually Impaired - An individual vision is 20/70 or less in the better eye. (The person sees at 20 feet what a normally sighted person sees at 70 feet)
  • Legally Blind - An individual's vision is 20/200 or less in the better eye. (the person sees at 20 feet what a normally sighted person sees at 200 feet).  In addition, an individual is considered legally blind if he or she has a restricted visual field limited to 20 degrees or less. (The person sees 20 degrees of all of the objects in his or her field of vision when a normally sighted person would see 180 degrees. 

Eye Screenings - Gloucester County is committed to the prevention of blindness, and in collaboration with the NJ Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired, offers free eye screenings for adults and children over the age of four. For more information, click here: FreeEyeScreenings.pdf

Links to Resources on Blindness and Low Vision -

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Vision Services

NJ Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired

NJ State Talking Book and Braille Center

American Council of the Blind

National Federation of the Blind

Maxi Aids (Products for Independent Living)

Contact - To obtain or refer someone for services, contact:

Kimberly Wright
Blind/Visually Impaired Program Coordinator

BVI Referral Form