Trinity Episcopal church (Old Swedes)
This is the oldest deeded church property in the County and the first Lutheran congregation and Swedish church in New Jersey.
The first log church was built in 1703 as a Swedish Evangelical Lutheran parish and the present church in 1784. Because the Swedish government stopped sending ministers to America, the congregation became Episcopalian in 1786.
Dr. Nicholas Collin was the last Lutheran pastor to serve here.
The interior of this venerable old church is one of the most beautiful in architectural designs. Intact are the old glass windows, old Venetian blinds, old style hardware on the entrance doors and pew doors, old oil lamps in the Chancel windows.
The pillars supporting the balcony and choir loft, show filled cracks where the green wood used in construction had split.
In 1765 the Rectory was built for the pastor. When the present Rectory was built in 1854 on the same site, the old building was removed. General Anthony Wayne during the winter of 1777-78 spent one night in this old house.
Kings Highway (County Road 551) south of the Raccoon Creek, Swedesboro