James and Ann Whitall House
Subfacility of Red Bank Battlefield Park
- ADA Accessible
- Battlefield Tours
- Children's Programs
- Hearth Cooking Demonstrations
- Museum Tours
James & Ann Whitall
In 1748, Quakers Ann and James Whitall established a 400-acre plantation at Red Bank along the Delaware River. This bustling plantation included:
Together, Ann and James raised nine children who worked the plantation alongside dozens of indentured servants hailing from Ireland, the Netherlands, and Germany.
In 1777, the American Revolution interrupted life at Red Bank when American forces constructed Fort Mercer immediately north of the house. On October 22, 1777, Colonel Christopher Green's Rhode Island Regiment inflicted heavy losses on Hessian soldiers and the Whitall's home served as a field hospital. Hundreds of Hessian soldiers lost their lives in the battle and were buried just north of the house. The Whitall's never forgave the American forces for the devastation they inflicted on their beloved property.