Gloucester County is committed to serving all residents with the best services we have to offer-our Veterans are our Nation’s heroes and it is our priority to care for them.
The Office of Veterans Affairs is a full-time office working to offer services to our veterans and their families.
“We honor our nation’s heroes and remember the sacrifices that so many veterans made to keep us and our country safe,” said Commissioner Director Robert M. Damminger. “Our Veteran’s Office is committed to our veterans and providing the care they deserve.”
“Gloucester County Veteran’s Office provides easy access to our veterans seeking assistance. There are many veterans in Gloucester County that have difficulty traveling long distances for the medical care they need so having an office in the County is a great resource,” said Senate President Steve Sweeney. “We owe the best medical care it to each and every veteran for their service to our country.”
When Senate President Steve Sweeney was Director of the Gloucester County Board of Commissioners (previously Freeholders) he and Director Damminger spearheaded the importance of having a Veterans Office open full time as opposed to the part-time hours that were in place at the time.
“The Gloucester County Veterans Affairs Office is open to assist with any of the needs listed above and beyond. They have countless resources and contacts to help veterans live their best life during and after their service,” said Commissioner Dan Christy.
Some of the services the Office of Veterans Affairs offers includes:
- Veterans Memorial Cemetery
- The Gloucester County Veterans Memorial Cemetery is located at 240 N Tuckahoe Rd. Williamstown, NJ 08094. The cemetery staff can assist with plots, headstones, Presidential Memorial Certificates and flags.
- The primary objective of the veteran’s cemetery is to provide a final resting place for veterans, their spouses, and eligible dependents that serves as a place of honor and dignity.
- Information on the Veteran’s Cemetery can be found at www.gloucestercountynj.gov or by calling (856) 401-7660.
- Veteran’s Affair Clinic
- The Gloucester County VA Clinic is located at 211 County House Rd. Sewell, NJ 08080. The clinic offers assistance with audiology dermatology, mental health assistance, optometry, primary care and specialty care.
- Please call 877-823-5230 to schedule an appointment.
- Vocational Rehab
- The office can assist with employment assistance for veterans.
- Gloucester County Military Service Medal
- The county commissioned the Gloucester County Service Medal in 2001 as a way to honor veteran residents.
- Assistance with requests for Federal Military Medals
- Request for DD214’s/Discharge paperwork
- DD Form 214 is a complete and thorough document that verifies a service member's proof of military service.
- The Veteran’s Office strongly recommends registering your DD214 paperwork with the County Clerk in case it’s misplaced you can receive a copy from the Clerk’s Office.
- Free Wills
- The Gloucester County Office of Veterans Affairs, through an attorney, provides free simple wills to active military personnel and veterans who served in active duty, other than for training, and were honorably discharged. This program is for Gloucester County residents 59 years of age or younger.
- VA Disability Claims assistance
- VA disability compensation (pay) offers a monthly tax-free payment to Veterans who got sick or injured while serving in the military and to Veterans whose service made an existing condition worse. You may qualify for VA disability benefits for physical conditions (like a chronic illness or injury) and mental health conditions (like PTSD) that developed before, during, or after service.
- Assistance with applying to the following programs:
- VA Healthcare applications
- Vineland’s Veterans home application
- VA home EOB applications
- Homeless veterans aid
Our veterans are very special to Gloucester County. It is thanks to them and their sacrifice that we are able to live freely and happily in Gloucester County and this country. We are eternally grateful for their service and sacrifices they have made.
For more information on the Office of Veterans Affairs, call 856-401-7660 or visit https://www.gloucestercountynj.gov/267/Veterans-Affairs