The New Jersey constitution decrees that the sheriff is the highest elected public law enforcement officer in every county.
Message from the Sheriff
I am grateful for the opportunity to lead this office and I am proud of our highly trained professional staff. The successes they achieve in the daily performance of their tasks reflect on the value of their considerable training and their commitment to perform their sworn duties as officers. My non-sworn staff is likewise committed to everyday excellence.
Sheriff Carmel Morina
Virtual Sheriff's Sales - January 20, 2021
Join on your computer or mobile app
Click here to join the meeting
The members of the Gloucester County Sheriff's Office are dedicated to protecting life and property. We are committed to providing all citizens with the highest quality law enforcement services and strive to perform our duties in an efficient and effective manner. While providing the traditional services of the Sheriff, we stand ready to support and augment all other law enforcement agencies.
We recognize that the ability to successfully complete our mission is based on shared mutual respect and responsibility between the Sheriff's Office, county and municipal agencies, and the citizens we serve. As professionals, we will enforce the laws in a fair and impartial manner, recognizing both the statutory and judicial mandates of this Office, and at all times respecting and protecting the constitutional rights of every individual.
Responsibilities / Units & Bureaus
The primary functions performed by the Sheriff's Office are mandated by statute. They include responsibilities in both civil and criminal areas of the law. These responsibilities include:
- Civil Process Unit - Oversees the service of summonses and complaints, writs of execution, execution of judgments, and foreclosure sales of real property
- Court Security Bureau - Providing security for:
- Adult Probation Office
- Family Court Building
- Fiscal Unit of Probation
- Justice Complex
- Old Court House
- Rowan College at Gloucester County College
- Special Services School District
- Criminal Identification Unit - Maintains photographs, fingerprints and criminal histories of all persons arrested for an indictable offense in the county
- Field Services Bureau - Includes the Special Investigation Unit which is responsible for the apprehension of all county fugitives
- Transportation Unit - Responsible for transporting adult and juveniles remands
The total staff numbers 117, which includes
- The Sheriff
- 2 Undersheriff's
- 1 Captain
- 1 Chief Warrant Officer
- 11 Investigators
- 3 Lieutenants
- 11 Sergeants
- 73 Officers
- 14 Civilian Staff Members