- Sheriff's Office
The New Jersey constitution decrees that the sheriff is the highest elected public law enforcement officer in every county.
The Gloucester County Sheriff’s Office is a dedicated and diverse group of professionals who are committed to serving the residents of Gloucester County by professionally and efficiently maintaining peace, protecting life, protecting property and providing service to the community in accordance with the Constitution of the United States and the State of New Jersey.
Responsibilities / Units & Bureaus
The primary functions performed by the Sheriff's Office are mandated by statute. They include responsibilities in both civil and criminal areas of the law. These responsibilities include:
- Civil Process Unit - Oversees the service of summonses and complaints, writs of execution, execution of judgments, and foreclosure sales of real property
- Court Security Bureau - Providing security for:
- Adult Probation Office
- Family Court Building
- Fiscal Unit of Probation
- Justice Complex
- Old Court House
- Rowan College at Gloucester County
- Special Services School District
- Field Services Bureau - Includes the Warrants Unit which is responsible for the apprehension of all county fugitives.
- Patrol Division- Responsible for transporting adult and juveniles remands. Provides a police presence at Gloucester County Parks and Facilities.
- Special Investigations Unit - The investigative division of the Gloucester County Sheriff’s Office.
The total staff numbers 141, which includes
- The Sheriff
- 2 Undersheriff's
- 1 Chief Sheriff's Officer
- 1 Captain
- 1 Chief Warrant Officer
- 11 Investigators
- 3 Lieutenants
- 11 Sergeants
- 70 Officers
- 14 Civilian Staff Members
- 7 Correction Sergeants
- 19 Correction Officers