Whole Community Planning
Gloucester County is committed to ensuring access, integration and inclusion of all individuals in the emergency management process - mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery. The Division of Disability cooperates with the Office of Emergency Management and other County Departments in "whole-community planning". Whole Community Planning embraces all human service providers to ensure that everyone can access mass care shelters, understand emergency information, evacuate safely, and receive recovery information.
The Division of Disability is a resource agency for our community members with disabilities who may need extra support during an emergency. Individuals in need of additional assistance may include those who:
- Have cognitive disabilities
- Have physical disabilities
- Have transportation disadvantages
- Are blind, visually impaired, deaf, or hard of hearing
- May lose support of attendants and caregivers
- Have a mental illness
- Do not have adequate support from family, friends, or caregivers
The State of New Jersey has developed a state-wide registry known as "Register Ready"; it is voluntary and free of charge to all State residents. The Gloucester County Office of Emergency Management works collaboratively with the State to assist you. The Registry is designed to assist emergency responders in locating those residents that may need assistance in evacuating in an emergency and who lack adequate assistance from families and caregivers. You (or someone on your behalf) should register if you may find it difficult to get to safety with family or friends or to a public shelter during an emergency evacuation, because of a physical or cognitive disability, communication barrier, or lack of transportation.
Remember, your priority should be to relocate with a family member or friend first. Take a look at the Gloucester County Register Ready Brochure (PDF) to learn more about the registry.
How to Register
There are several ways to complete the Register Ready Form:
1. Call toll-free 211 to register by telephone; TTY/TTD translation services are available
2. Fill out the form directly online at the NJ Special Needs Registry website
3. If you prefer to complete the form manually, print the New Jersey Special Needs Registry Form (PDF). After you complete, the form mail to:
Gloucester County Division of Human and Disability Services
Attn: Inez Nelson
115 Budd Boulevard
West Deptford, NJ 08096
4. Call the Division of Disability Services at 856-384-6842