Message From the Prosecutor
Dear Citizens of Gloucester County:
Since its establishment in 1984, the Gloucester County Victim/Witness Advocacy Program has grown substantially, and has become an effective integral part of this office. It is the position of this administration, in conjunction with the State Office of Victim/Witness Advocacy, that it is our obligation to be continually informed and tireless in our efforts to understand and address the stress victims and witnesses of crimes experience as they are taken through the criminal justice system. From the initial investigation to the final disposition of the case, the Victim/Witness Advocacy Program pledges to support victims and witnesses by keeping them educated and informed about the criminal justice system, as well as insuring that their right to be treated with dignity and compassion is protected. We would encourage any victim or witness in need of assistance, help or information to contact the Gloucester County Office of Victim/Witness Advocacy.
Very truly yours,
Sean F. Dalton
Gloucester County Prosecutor
New Jersey Office of Victim/Witness Advocacy
Victims Bill of Rights
- To be treated with dignity and compassion by the criminal justice system;
- To be informed about the criminal justice system;
- To be free from intimidation;
- To have inconveniences associated with participation in the criminal justice process minimized;
- To make at least one telephone call which is reasonable in both length and location called;
- To medical assistance, if it appears necessary;
- To be notified if presence in court is not needed;
- To be informed about available remedies, financial assistance and social services;
- To be compensated for losses when possible;
- To be provided a secure waiting area during court proceedings;
- To be advised of case progress and final disposition;
- To the prompt return of property when no longer needed;
- To submit a written statement about the crime to a representative of the prosecutor's office prior to the prosecutor's final decision regarding the filing of a formal criminal charge; and
- To address the Judge at sentencing concerning the impact of the crime.
- To be notified of parole eligibility and release.
- Information about the criminal justice systems.
- Information about the specific case in which you are involved.
- Notification of any change in the status of the case.
- Notification on Bail/Release/Parole.
- Assistance in obtaining return of property when no longer needed as evidence.
- Assistance in applying to the Violent Crime Compensation Office for medical expenses, counseling costs and funeral expenses.
- Assistance in requesting restitution from the court.
- Assistance in obtaining counseling.
- HIV Testing of offender.
The New Jersey State Victim Notification Service (VINE) is a service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or Internet to search for information regarding their offender's custody status and register to receive telephone and e-mail notification when the offender's custody status changes. This service is brought to you by the Office of the Attorney General.
The VINE toll-free number for New Jersey VINE is 1-877-846-3465.
The website can be found by clicking here.
|Division of Youth & Family Services (DYFS)
||24 hour hotline 1-877-652-2873
|Ombudsman for the Institutionalized Elderly
leave a message
|Adult Protective Services (Mon - Fri 8:00am - 4:00pm)
|after 4:30pm call First Call for Help
|Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office Bias Crime Unit
|Human Relations Commission
|First Call for Help
||24 hour hotline 1-800-648-0132
|Gloucester County Domestic Violence Services
|Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD)
|Center for Family Services, Inc.
|Underwood-Memorial Hospital Emergency Department
|Sexual Assault Response Team (SART)
|Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE)
|Services Empowering Rape Victims (SERV)
||1-866-295-SERV or (856)-964-SERV
|Division of Disability Services of Gloucester County
|Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office - Victim / Witness Unit
|Victims of Crime Compensation Office (VCCO)
|New Jersey State Parole
|Gloucester County Jail Release
|Gloucester County Family Court - Domestic Violence
|Gloucester County Adult Probation
|Human Relations Commission
|New Jersey Office of Victim / Witness Advocacy
|Victims of Crime Compensation Board, Newark, NJ
||(973)-648-2107 or (877)-658-2221
|Cape May County
||(856)-451-3177, Ext. 157
||(973)-621-4413 or 4709
||(609)-989-6428 or 6274