The Gloucester County Special Weapons And Tactics Team is a multi jurisdictional team comprised of Law Enforcement officers from local and county police agencies within Gloucester County. The SWAT Team is under the direct control and supervision of the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office.
The TEAM consists of four branches:
GLOUCESTER COUNTY SWAT TEAM
Critical incidents present special problems to police officers, citizens, and victims. Each critical incident situation is different, but a basic plan will assist responding law enforcement officers. This directive is intended to memorialize and state the basic rules and protocols concerning management and command of “critical incidents” occurring within the County of Gloucester.
Critical Incidents Subject to Activation of the SWAT Team
- Barricade Situation: The standoff created by an armed or potentially armed suspect in any location, whether fortified or not, who is refusing to comply with police demands for surrender.
- Hostage Situation: The holding of any person against their will by an armed or potentially armed suspect.
- Stake-out/Sniper Situations: The firing upon citizens and /or police by an armed suspect, whether stationary or mobile
- Acts of Terrorism: Acts of violence or threatened violence committed by groups or an individual in order to intimidate a population or government, which are spontaneous in nature.
- High-Risk Search/Arrest Warrants: Suspect(s) are believed to be armed, suspect(s) may resort to use of weapons when confronted with arrest or warrant service, or entry to location may be hazardous or impeded because of warning systems, reinforced doors, or other impediments. Further, the arrest of perpetrators suspected to be armed and/or dangerous with a history of violence or weapons offenses.
- Personal Protection: The security of special persons, such as V.I.P.’s, Public Officials , Dignitaries, witnesses or suspects, based on threat or potential threat to the well being of those persons.
- Office of County Emergency Management Operations: based upon level of threat and or the need for special expertise.