Thinking about pregnancy? Whether you are concerned about becoming pregnant or planning for a pregnancy there are steps you should take to protect your health and the health of your child.
For women concerned with preventing pregnancy there are steps you can take
- Abstain from sexual activity. This is the only 100% solution to prevent pregnancy and infections.
- Get tested for sexually transmitted infections. The Gloucester County Department of Health offers free screening and counseling. Click here for more information.
- Talk with your parents and healthcare providers about contraception.
- Low cost screening, pregnancy testing and reproductive health services are available through Famcare Inc. in Glassboro http://www.famcareinc.com/
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has a few tips for women who are planning on a healthy pregnancy (CDC, www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/pregnancy_gateway/before.html )
5 Steps to Get Ready for a Healthy Pregnancy
- Take 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid every day for at least 1 month before getting pregnant to help prevent birth defects.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol.
- If you have a medical condition, be sure it is under control. Some conditions include asthma, diabetes, oral health, obesity, or epilepsy. Also be sure that your vaccinations are up to date.
- Talk to a health care professional about any over-the-counter and prescription medicines you are taking. These include dietary or herbal supplements.
- Avoid contact with toxic substances or materials that could cause infection at work and at home. Stay away from chemicals and cat or rodent feces.
Pregnancy & Childbirth
A healthy pregnancy and delivery is achievable. Take advantage of resources available to you. The CDC has a list of online resources for pregnant women at www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/pregnancy_gateway/during.html
In Gloucester County, resources are available for pregnant women and their families.
- The Gloucester County Department of Health administers the Women, Infants & Children (WIC) program. For eligibility requirements and more information click here.
- Two (2) Federally Qualified Healthcare Centers, or primary care clinics, are located in Gloucester County. Both agencies offer low cost care for pregnant women.
- Inspira Woodbury Maternal Child Health Center (856) 845-0100, ext. 2456 https://www.inspirahealthnetwork.org/?id=5335&sid=1
- Kennedy Hospital Woman’s and Children’s Services (856) 582-3000 www.kennedyhealth.org/programs-and-services/womens-and-childrens-services.html
- Robin’s Nest Inc. provides numerous home visitation programs for pregnant women and families. For more information go to http://www.robinsnestinc.org/ or call (856) 881-8689
- Southern NJ Perinatal Cooperative provides many services to support women and families during pregnancy and after delivery. For more information go to their website http://www.snjpc.org/ or call (856) 665-6000
- Famcare Inc. in Glassboro provides low cost prenatal care. For more information go to their website at http://www.famcareinc.com/
- Choices of the Heart provides free and low cost testing, counseling and education for pregnant women and expectant fathers. For more information go to their website at http://www.choicesoftheheart.com/
- Mother Child residential Program provides emergency and transitional housing for single mothers and their babies. For more information go to their website at www.centerffs.org/programs/MotherChildProgram.htm