The Gloucester County Fire Marshal's Office was created by resolution of the Board of Chosen Freeholders and is part of the Department of Emergency Response. The Fire Marshal's Office acts in an advisory capacity to all of the fire companies, fire officials and fire inspectors in Gloucester County, by conducting investigations into the origin and cause of all fires and assisting with local fire officials, fire marshals and the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office in the elimination of fire hazards that threaten the citizens of this county.
Some of the duties of the Gloucester County Fire Marshal's Office are as follows:
- Determine the origin and cause of all fires and provides reporting and record retention of incidents within the county involving fire investigations.
- Assist local, county, state and federal law enforcement agencies with the investigation and prevention of all suspicious or incendiary fires.
- Accept the responsibility to be the local enforcing agency for a municipality under the New Jersey Uniform Fire Act, if requested to do so by ordinance of that municipality. The County Fire Marshal's Office currently is the LEA (Local Enforcing Agency) for the Borough's of Newfield, Woodbury Heights, National Park and Swedesboro, along with the Township's of Elk, Woolwich, East Greenwich, and South Harrison.
- Act as the county enforcing agency under the New Jersey Uniform Fire Act and performs fire safety inspections of all County owned and leased buildings.
- Assist municipalities with interpretation of the New Jersey Uniform Fire Code, if needed.
- Offer assistance to families, mental health agencies, units of government, including law enforcement for the intervention in juvenile fire setting incidents and administers the county juvenile fire-setter program.
- Provides for the public awareness for the prevention and elimination of all fire hazards.
Edward J. Johnson - County Fire Marshal (CFM-1)
Charles D. Murtaugh - Deputy County Fire Marshal (CFM-2)
Len E. Clark - County Fire Investigator (CFM-4)
Jack DeAngelo - County Fire Investigator (CFM-5)
Jay C. Jones - County Fire Investigator (CFM-6)
Gloucester County Fire Marshal
212 County House Road
Clarksboro, NJ 08020