Adams Meeting House
Northeast corner of Oak Grove Road and Stone Meeting House Road, halfway between Bridgeport and Swedesboro.
Built in 1793, when Joseph and Elizabeth Adams deeded the ground "for a consideration of five shillings."
The oldest Methodist Church building in Gloucester County is also known as the Old Stone Church or the Oak Grove Church.
Owned by Swedesboro Methodist Church
Holly Ave., Pitman
Originally the site of an Indian village. Alcyon Lake was known for its recreation facilities and park accommodations from the 1870's until 1945.
Owned by Borough of Pitman.
Aura United Methodist Church
Aura-Willow Grove Road, Aura
This Church was erected in 1806 in the North West corner of the cemetery. It was moved to its present location in 1878, at which time several additions were made.
Owned by Aura United Methodist Church.
Balloon Landing Site
Area west of Clement's Bridge Road and south of Big Timber Creek in Deptford Township, between the R.C.A. Plant and the Creek
On January 9, 1793 aerialist Jean Pierre Blanchard landed here. This was the completion of America's first balloon flight. Blanchard had left 6th and Walnut Streets in Philadelphia almost an hour earlier. His balloon carried him about 15 miles in 56 minutes before dropping down. The personal letter he carried from President Washington allayed the fears and suspicions of local farmers who saw him drop from the sky. R.C.A. Parts 8 Accessories Plant.
On January 9, 1793, Jean Pierre Blanchard, a French balloonist, completed the first manned flight in America. His forty-minute trip by balloon from Philadelphia to Deptford Township was the actual beginning of the aero-space age in our hemisphere.
Located in center of Barnsboro
The original section of this old hotel was built of cedar logs twelve by sixteen inches squared, and was standing as early as 1720, then owned by John Budd. John Barnes, from whom Barnsboro takes its name, was issued the first license for an inn March 19th, 1778.
Four old fireplaces were made of one-inch bricks. The added sections of the building make it now of three levels.
The Benjamin Clark House
On the east side of the Woodbury-Glassboro Road, Deptford Township
This was the original Benjamin Clark farm. The west section of this old brick home is the oldest, having been built in the late 18th century. The east section has a stone insert, dated "1804. Benjamin was a Revolutionary soldier. Because of Benjamin Clark's patriotic activities during the Revolutionary War, his home was raided several times by the British. While taking a load of grain to Valley Forge for Washington, he had his four-horse team taken by the British. Late in the night Ben stole into camp and released his horses and hid them on an island in Mantua Creek. Ben left one old cow in the barn and told the British they had taken everything else.
Owned by Gloucester County College.
Bethel Methodist Church
Route 47, Hurffville
This church was developed from the lay ministry of John Barley who came here in 1764 -- an Irish immigrant. The first church building was used until 1840, when the second building was erected and used until 1901, when it was destroyed by fire (from lightning). The third and present edifice was built in 1882.
Owned by Bethel Methodist Church
West side of Kings Highway, Clarksboro
The older north section of this house is believed to have been built in the early 1700's. The discovery of a small hidden alcove in the attic, large enough to hide a full-grown person, has given rise to many legends and traditions about the house.
Candor Hall or Ladd's Castle
1337 LaFayette Avenue, Colonial Manor, West Deptford Township
This Colonial manor is the oldest brick house in the county.
It was built ca. 1688 by John Ladd, who lived there until his death.
He is said to have helped William Penn lay out the streets of Philadelphia.
Four chimneys enhance its staunch, sturdy appearance, and although it has been shorn of one of its hewn-log wings, the main building, made of native brick, stands proudly on its firm foundations
Jonas, Cattell Grave Site
Melvin Ave., Deptford, one block south of Caulfield Ave.
The grave of South Jersey's most famous hunter and woodsman. Jonas Cattell, is located in this old family burying ground. Cattell ran from Haddonfield to Fort Mercer on the morning of October 22, 1777, to alert the Americans that the Hessians were on their way to attack the fort.
The Charles Quay Farm House
Hurffville-Cross Keys Road, Washington Township
This old farm house is believed to have been built in the late 18th century. It was constructed with cedar clapboards and much of the interior is in its original state. Several Indian sites have been found on the 80-acre tract where the house is located, and one of the oldest landmarks on the farm is a boundary marker dated 1731. The farm's owner, Charles Quay, established one of the nation's largest private collections of antique farm implements and memorabilia.
436 East Barber Ave., Woodbury
The oldest part of this house is the story-and-a-half section at the west with a dormer window breaking the gabled roof line. It was built before 1800 and originally contained two rooms, one behind the other, each with a corner fireplace using a common chimney. The interesting wall construction indicates this was originally a log dwelling built with two-by-twelve-inch hand-hewn logs of swamp cedar.
The Clement Oak
Deptford Township on the property of R.C.A. bounded by Clement's Bridge Road, the North-South Freeway and Big Timber Creek
One of the largest oak trees in the eastern United States, this tree is 18 feet high, and has a spread of over 100 feet. This oak was mentioned in a survey as early as 1678, so even 297 years ago the tree must have been a landmark in the area. Tradition states that the Lenni-Lenape Indians held tribal councils under its spreading branches.
Owned by Radio Corporation of America
Clevengor Brothers Glass Works
East Linden and Vine Streets, Clayton
This glass works represents the last of the old-time glassblowers of South Jersey. The business was established by three Clevenger brothers -- Thomas, the oldest; Reno, and Ollie, the youngest. A fourth brother, George, died at the age of 21. Their father, William H. Clevenger, was a master at this work. His last job was at Moore Brothers in Clayton. All three of his sons began their apprenticeship at Moore Brothers.
Colonel Bodo Otto Residence
County Road 551, Mickleton
Dr. Bodo Otto, of Luneburg, Province of Hanover, Prussia, came to America 1752. In 1772 his son Bodo Otto, Jr., purchased one hundred acres of land for four hundred ninety-seven pounds the property of William Scull who had purchased the same 1766 from Benjamin Lodge, at Mickleton. Here Dr. Bodo Otto, Jr., who served as a surgeon in Washington's Army at Valley Forge, lived. During 1777 when the Tory invasion took place this place was partially burned. The original property dates back to 1688.
One of the best examples of pre-Revolutionary stone construction, this house was built before 1771.
The Cooper-Griscom House
Griscom Lane in Greenfields Village, West Deptford Township
This famous landmark was built in the 1740's by Ann Clark Cooper, the mother of Ann Cooper Whitall. The original stone was later covered with brick, and still later with stucco. One of the most famous holly trees in America once stood on the front lawn; this 300-year-old tree was almost destroyed by lightning several years ago. In the 1860's the house and plantation were bought by the Griscom family, who lived there for eight generations.
Owned by Southwood Baptist Church
Death of the Fox Inn
In Mount Royal, north of the railroad crossing on County Road 551
The inn was built in the early 1700's. This was in the early days a rendezvous of a famous sporting club with membership from Philadelphia and Gloucester County. It got its name because the hunters of the Gloucester Fox Hunting Club (1766 to 1818) often gathered at the inn after the chase. This was the first such hunt club in America. Here the Philadelphia members served a delightful repast and the Gloucester County members could promise good sport with horses, dogs and a fox. The chase even led the sportsmen as far as Salem. During the Revolution it was used for recruiting and as a military headquarters.
Deptford Free School Building
33 Delaware Street, Woodbury
The Ouakers erected this building in 1774 as a one-story school. By 1820 a second story had been added. It is now the eastern-most section of City Hall.
Owned by City of Woodbury
44 South Main Street, Mullica Hill
Many of the original features of this house have been retained, e.g., the fireplaces and the random width pine floors.
At the intersection of N.J. 47 and County Road 538, Franklinville
This old hostelry was once a well-known stagecoach stop in Little Ease (now Franklinville). Just when this sturdy building was erected, no one seems to know, but it was before 1826, for on March 8, 1826 Phebe Cake petitioned to have the license continued.
It once had a large cook house adjoining the tavern with an immense cook stove. Shelves lined two walls with all things ready and necessary for a meal. Crocks stood full of preserves, mince-meat, jams and jellies. In the old smoke house hung hams, beef and meat galore. The old wagon sheds and water trough for horses disappeared along with the other out-buildings around the 1920's.
The Franklin House
44 North Broad Street, Woodbury
This one-time log cabin is the oldest house in Woodbury. Ca. 1765, it was owned by Joseph Low. The exterior logs remain intact, but have long since been covered with weather boards. The front door is original as are the exposed beams. One original fireplace still displays the square handmade bricks.
The style belongs to those built during the early part of the 18th century. It was the home of Joseph Franklin.
Franklin Inn (Franklin House Hotel)
Main and West Streets, Glassboro
Glassboro's first tavern was built on this site by Solomon Stanger in the early 1770's. The Franklin House was erected in the 1790's by Colonel Thomas Heston, who entertained the famous Gloucester Fox Hunting Club.
Franklinville-Swedesboro Road, South Harrison Township
Located on a hill, the French House has kept faithful vigil over the surrounding countryside for more than 250 years. The brick home with four corner fireplaces was one of the first built in the area ca. 1710-1715. In 1804, the northwest portion was added by the Moore family.
Fort Billings' Site
Northwestern section of Pausboro on Delaware River
A granite monument marks the location of Fort Billings, which was built during the Revolution to prevent the British fleet from communicating with Philadelphia.
It has the distinction of being purchased by Continental Congress July 4, 1776, the first land purchase of the U.S. government, and was deeded to the Thirteen United Colonies on July 5, 1776, the day after the adoption of the Declaration of Independence.
The monument was erected by the Esso Oil Company, now known as the Humble Oil and Refining Company, to mark the site of the fort used during the Revolutionary War and again fortified for the War with Great Britain 1812-1815.
Owned by Humble Oil and Refining Company
The Gardiner House
Intersection of the Swedesboro-Franklinville Road and Comissioners Road, South Harrison Township
This old brick home has the date "1802" on the gable and has been a landmark in the southern area of Gloucester County for many years.
The General French House
136 South Broad Street, Woodbury
Built ca. 1766, this house gained fame during the Civil War because ii was owned by a General in the Confederate Armv. General Samuel Gibbs French, though born in Mullica Hill, chose to fight on the side of the Confederacy.
George Morgan House
One mile east of the Fairview Corners intersection, on Egg Harbor Road, Washington Township
This brown Jersey sandstone home was built by George Morgan ca. 1779. Several of the original fireplaces remain. It is currently known as the house at Starlight Stable.
The Gill House
West side of Broad Street, Paulsboro
The Gill House was built by John E. Clark ca. 1800, when Paulsboro was known as Crown Point. Today the building is known as the Gill Memorial Library, after Matthew Gill, a prominent man who lived here in the 1800's.
Owned by Borough of Paulsboro
The Governor Stratton House
East side of Kings Highway, just north of Raccoon Creek
This handsome brick home was erected in 1794 by Dr. James Stratton. Here, his son, Governor Charles Creighton Stratton, was born, lived and died.
Governor Stratton was the first governor to be elected under the new State Constitution of 1844.
He served as Governor from 1844 to 1848. He was the only Governor elected from Gloucester County.
Grand Sprute Plantation
On a side road off Rt. 322, 2 miles west of the intersection of U.S. 322 and County Road 551, Woolwich Township
Also known as the Vanleer-Black-Schorn home, this old brick farm house was built ca. 1756. It was used as a trading post by Indians and whites alike. The outer walls of the Grand Sprute Plantation House are 14 inches thick. Four corner fireplaces are intact on the first floor. Also located on this property is the Mortonson-Schorn Log Cabin. (Also called the Van Leer Cabin)
Cooper-Griscom Home in Greenfields
The Griscom Holly, a landmark in Gloucester County, is recognized by holly growers as an especially fine specimen of the American Holly.
This 300-year-old holly-tree was once regarded by experts as one of the most beautiful holly-trees in the U.S. A spray from the tree was used for a cover design on the 1934 issue of Home and Garden Magazine.
It is a unique tree and it has been widely propogated.
Owned by Southwood Baptist Church
935 Kings Highway, Swedesboro
This lovely old home was built in the mid-18th century by one of the most disliked, distrusted men in South Jersey --John Hatton, known as His Majesty's "Collector of Customs for the Crown." Under this title Hatton tried to enforce the hated Stamp Act, collected revenues and attempted to stop the illicit trade and smuggling that was rampant throughout South Jersey.
Hollybush Whitney Mansion
Whitney Avenue, Glassboro
This handsome Victorian home was built in 3849 by Thomas and Samuel Whitney, owners of the Whitney Glass Works in Glassboro. It was constructed of native Jersey sandstone obtained from the Chestnut Branch quarry and for decades was known as the Whitney Mansion. It gained national prominence in June 1967 when President Lyndon Johnson and Russian Premier Alexi Kosygin met there for the famed Summit meetings.
Owned by Glassboro State College
58 North Broad Street, Woodbury
Judge John Sparks, a prominent man during the Revolutionary War period, built the Hunter-Lawrence house in 1765. The Reverend Andrew Hunter, who was one of the 'Tea Burners' of Greenwich and a chaplain in the Revolutionary Army, owned it in 1792, and six years later it became the home of John Lawrence. Lawrence's younger brother, James, lived in the house and received his education at Woodbury Academy. In 1813 James was fatally wounded on the deck of his ship. His dying words, "Don't give up the ship", have since become the watchword of the U.S. Navy.
By 1871 it was in possession of Judge John Jessup who sold it to the Gloucester County Historical Society November 10, 1924. The Gloucester County Historical Society has maintained it as an 18-room museum ever since.
Mahogany Desk and Bookcase that formerly belonged to Elizabeth Haddon. Bequeathed to the Gloucester County Historical Society by Susan Carpenter, daughter of former Judge Thomas P. Carpenter and a lineal descendant of Elizabeth Haddon.
Owned by Gloucester County Historical Society
Thomas W. Hurff Home (Haines Dairy Farm House)
Route 47 and Hurffville-Cross Keys Road, Hurffville
The house was built in 1841 and still boasts the original handblown glass windows and woodwork that was hewn by hand axes right on the spot. The house is a fine example of the architecture of the early 1840's with its lovely cornices and the Haines family has kept it in fine condition.
Iredell House No. 1
Ewan-Bridgeton Road, Elk Township
Thomas Iredell built this brick house for his first wife, Ann, in 1788, on a branch of Raccoon Creek.
He saw the possibility of water power by damming the creek and then built a grist mill.
Three curious arched vaults of brick construction are found in the cellar. Whether they were built for storage, defense, or some other purpose is not known.
Iredell House No. 2
East of the bridge over Raccoon Creek, Ewan
Like Iredell House No. 1, this is a brick house. Thomas Iredell built it in 1793 for his second wife, Rebecca. Its distinctive chimney design is claimed to be one of only three found in the United States.
The initials T.A.R. on the front peak facing the road are believed to stand for the names of the three Iredell children -- Thomas, Ann, and Rebecca.
Barnsboro-Richwood Road, Barnsboro
This home is one of the few frame farmhouses dating from the early 1800's remaining in the county.
The Jesse Chew House
Mantua-Sewell Road, near the railroad bridge
The house, built of Jersey sandstone in 1772, is still in remarkable condition. Hand-hewn rafters, the corner fireplace, iron door hinges and the finger latches are original.
Jesse Chew was a Methodist preacher and his home was spared from the raids of the British. In 1771 Bishop Asbury makes mention of preaching at Jesse Chew's, in his diary. Jesse was regarded like many Methodists in those days as a Tory.
When the British marched up from Hancocks Bridge after that depredation, they came thru Barnsboro. Hearing of the British coming, the family took up the hearth stones in front of the huge fireplace and buried the family silver. When the troops arrived they served them food and drink and they marched on. Jesse Chew was born in 1738 and died in 1812, age 74.
The Jessup House
Heritage Road just east of the Jackson Road intersection, Mantua Township
A stone insert in the north gable of this brick home reads "J. & S. Jessup, 1805." The south part of the house is the oldest and may date from the mid-18th century. It has also been called Windridge Farm.
Southwest corner of the intersection of Delsea Drive and Pitman Avenue, Pitman
On the south gable of this old Jersey Sandstone house are the numbers "1-19-1796", indicating the date of its construction. The exterior walls are 18 inches thick.
East side of Kings Highway, Clarksboro
The log and weather board portion of this graceful old house was built by Nicholas Justice ca. 1747. From 1777 to 1809 the house belonged to Thomas Clark and his son, of the family for whom Clarksboro was named. Members of the Peaslee family have lived there since 1847.
Knight Farm House
Opposite Princeton Ave., at 775 Salem Ave., West Deptford
Believed built in early 1800's, this home was owned by William Knight for many years. Located on Rt. 551 (Kings Highway) about 1/2 mile south of Broad Street, Woodbury.
Little Red Schoolhouse (Mickleton Friends School)
Mickleton, East Greenwich Township
The original brick unit was built in 1808; the frame section was added in the 1870's. It was used by the Friends until the mid-1800's when it became a public school. In 1925 it was no longer used and laid idle until 1941 when it was restored as a social hall by Amos Peaslee. It is known today as "The Little Red School House."
Owned by The Upper Greenwich Meeting
On the southwest corner of Delaware and Horace Streets, Woodbury
This brick farmhouse was erected ca. 1770. It has since undergone some architectural changes inside, but the chimneys and gables and brick exterior bear proof of its age.
Mantua Grove School House
Northwest corner of the intersection of Parkville Road and Kings Highway, West Deptford Township
Erected 1842, this is the oldest stone school building in the Country. A log school about 200 yards north of the present one had been erected in 1810.
Owned by West Deptford Township Board of Education
The Mickle House
Southeast corner of Delaware and Jackson Streets, Woodbury
This old clapboard house was built ca. 1796. A lovely center hall staircase is still intact, as are random-width floor boards throughout the house.
Mickleton Friends Meeting House
Kings Highway (County Road 551), Mickleton
The Mickleton Friends Meeting was first authorized in 1736 near Raccoon Creek in Greenwich Township and called Solomon's Preparatory Meeting.
In 1740 the Meeting House was built on land deeded by Solomon Lippincott from whom it got the name "Solomon's Meeting." In 1798 the larger two-story brick building was erected at Mickleton and the Meeting transferred there, and ten years later a brick school house was built on land adjoining it.
The schoolhouse is still in use as a social meeting place for various civic groups.
Owned by The Upper Greenwich Meeting
The Mickle-Summerill House
30 North Broad Street, Woodbury
The front portion of the 18th-century house is constructed with hand-hewn clapboards and hand-made nails throughout. The doors are of the old six-panel type known as the brass and open Bible style.
Swedesboro-Sharptown Road, three miles south from the center of Swedesboro.
This church was erected by the Moravians in 1786 on land deeded to the Moravian Brethren by George and Jane Avise in 1767. It replaced a log church built in 1747 which housed British troops during the Revolutionary War.
It is believed to be the oldest Moravian Church still standing in New Jersey.
Owned by the Gloucester County Historical Society
Mortonson-Schorn Log Cabin
Off U.S. 322, two miles east of Bridgeport
This log cabin was built by Morton Mortonson, the grandfather of John Morton, who signed the Declaration of Independence.
Of Swedish-type construction, the structure consists of one small room with no windows and a single door.
Morton Mortonson, arrived in the Delaware Valley in May, 1654. Prior to and during the Civil War, the Mortonson-Schorn Cabin was used as a station for the Underground Railroad and has been often referred to since as the Slave House, It is one of the oldest original log cabins of early Swedish-Finnish architecture in the United States.
Mullica Hill Friends Meeting House
Main Street, Mullica Hill
The first building stood in the Burying Ground and was used as a school and meeting house, about 1750. This building was erected in 1806 on land purchased from Jacob Spicer, the first settler on the south side of Raccoon Creek, Mullica Hill.
The Myrtle Grove House
138 Delaware Street, Woodbury
This house was built ca. 1803. The rooms are small and low-ceilinged. One fireplace at the northwest wall remains, as do original panes of glass in many of the windows. It has been owned by members of the Twells and Whitall families.
Nathan Ward House
Poplar Ave., Deptford Township
This brick house was built by Nathan and Amy Ward in 1791. Their initials and the date are still visible in the eastern gable of the house.
Nothnagle Log Cabin
Near intersection of Broad Street, Paulsboro and the Paulsboro-Swedesboro Road, Greenwich Township
This one-room cabin is believed to have been built by Benjamin Braman in the mid-1600's and is the oldest standing wooden structure on the North American continent.
Constructed of square-hewn logs which were interlocking at the ends and did not require any nails, with a low-beamed ceiling, it has a large corner fireplace in a rear corner. Some historians believe this type of log cabin construction was introduced in America by the Finns rather than the Swedes, since many of the 17th century settlers were Finnish.
Old Ford Hotel
306 Kings Highway, Swedesboro
The earliest record of this building refers to it as a "dry goods store" in the fall of 1800. It was first licensed as a tavern in 1806. George T. Ford became the proprietor ca. 1864 and the hotel has borne his name ever since.
The Old Swedes Inn in Swedesboro, originally licensed as a stagecoach-stop tavern in the mid-1700's, is of 'peg' construction with no nails supporting its massive wooden beams.
Old Town Hall
South Main Street, Mullica Hill
A noteworthy example of mid-Victorian architecture, Mullica Hill's Old Town Hall was built by a private stock company, "The Town Hall Association of Mullica Hill, N.J.," in August, 1871. Restoration of Old Town Hall was begun by the Harrison Township Historical Society in 1972.
Owned by Harrison Township Historical Society
La Pann House
407 Oak Street, Woodbury Heights
This two and one-half story brick home is believed to have been built in the late f8th century. Unfortunately, early researchers have neglected this home, so little documented history can be cited. It is known that during the mid-19th century, Mr. West Jessup owned this house and 120 acres immediately surrounding it. Jessup was one of the largest land owners in Gloucester County at this time. There's a strong possibility that the home was moved to its present location just prior to Jessup's ownership, which would explain the absence of early records pertaining to the house in this area.
The Parish-Moore House
127 North Broad Street, Woodbury
Built in the early 19th century, this fine brick home boasts a symmetrical Georgian five-bay façade. The fireplaces in the front of the house are typical of the simple Georgian mantle designs of the Delaware Valley region in the late 18th century.
The Paul House
212 East Broad Street, Paulsboro
The date in the east gable of this old home is 1810, but the rear section appears to be of a much earlier date. It is called the Paul House after the Paul family who settled Paulsboro in 1685 and who probably built the original back portion of the structure.
118 N. Hurffville Road, Deptford Township
The southern section of this brick home was built in the late 18th century fronting on Big Timber Creek, the northern part was added in 1808.
The Pillar-Barracks House
46-48 East Barber Avenue, Woodbury
The earliest reference on record of the Pillar, or "Barracks" house is dated 1806, but the east section is believed to be much older. The west section of the house was added in the early 1800's and a pillared portico was added to conceal the difference of the roof lines.
In 1880, Lammont du Pont began construction in Gibbstown of what would become the world's largest dynamite plant.
Below Mullica Hill, just off the Bridgeton Pike (Route 77), Elk Township
This mid-18th century tavern was one of the places where passengers, mail and horses changed hands. In 1766 a license for this tavern was issued to Robert Whitticer in the "Township of Woolwich". This old log and frame structure still stands. although in very poor condition.
The Pisant House
Northeast side of Raccoon Creek about one block from the bridge
Major John Pisant is credited with building his gray stone home circa 1812. He purchased a tract of land which eventually became known as "Raccoon Lower Bridge" (Bridgeport) in the early 1700's.
Pitman Grove Camp Meeting
Bounded by North, East, South and West Avenues, Pitman
Originally formed 1866 in John D. Turner's woods back of the old Barnsboro Mill, was under the auspices of Bethel Church (Hurffville). Successful meetings were held here until 1870. Good drinking water was had for one cent a bucketful.
In 1871 the Camp Meeting was started at Pitman Grove by Rev. William Ferry.
The Pitman Grove Camp Meeting was founded in the summer of 1871 by a small group of ministers from the New Jersey Conference of the Methodist Church, and was named in honor of Rev. Charles Pitman, a powerful camp meeting preacher of his day.
A large auditorium, the focal point of the religious activity, is at the center of the meeting grounds. Narrow walkways radiate from the central common space, and are lined with small cottages which were constructed soon after 1871 to provide temporary accommodations for those who attended the meetings.
Presbyterian Church at Woodbury
Corner of South Broad Street and West Centre Street, Woodbury
Founded in 1721, this congregation built the present red brick Church in 1834. The original log structure, located in the Presbyterian Burial Ground on North Broad Street, Woodbury, was used until the Revolutionary War. In November 1777, it was occupied by British troops and afterward thought to be haunted. It fell into decay and a new church was erected a mile south, in the center of Woodbury, in 1834.
Owned by Presbyterian Church
Red Bank Battlefield
On Delaware River northwest of Woodbury and near the junction of U.S. 295, U.S. 130, and N.J. 44
The Pennsylvania Council of Safety (Revolutionary War) erected Fort Mercer here to guard the river approach to Philadelphia from the British. The Hessians under Count von Donop attacked in 1777, but were defeated.
The battlefield monument was erected in 1906 by the State. During the excavations two ancient cannons, a large number of grape shot, an iron camp stove and other relics were uncovered.
The monument was dedicated June 21, 1906.
Owned by the Gloucester County Board of Chosen Freeholders
5 Redwood Drive, Greenfields
Believed built by Biddle Peeves in the mid-18th century, the present front of the house was originally the rear part of the dwelling.
U.S. 322 and Pitman-Richwood Road, Richwood
The Richwood Academy was built in 1870 and is a well-preserved example of the type of structure erected in Gloucester County following the Civil War. It is now used as a community center.
Owned by Richwood Academy Association
Rising Sun Tavern (Mount Royal Inn)
North West corner of intersection of Rt. 551, and Mantua-Paulsboro Road, Mount Royal
This 18th century brick tavern has been known by many names through its long history. It has been called the Heart and Hand Tavern, the Sickler House, and the Blue Anchor Hotel. In 1869 it served briefly as a headquarters for the army.
Seven Stars Tavern
Southwest corner of State Highway 45, West Street, 2nd house from corner, Woodbury
This old building has been turned into apartments. It should not be confused with the Seven Stars Tavern in Salem County.
76 South Main Street, Mullica Hill
In the early eighteenth century, this charming colonial home was owned by Jacob Spicer, one of the earliest settlers of South Mullica Hill, once known as Spicerville.
Stanger (Episcopal) Burial Ground
North end of Glassboro on Main Street
The old burying ground holds the remains of the early Stangers, the founders of Glassboro and their families. It is believed to be the site of the first St. Thomas Episcopal Church. The cemetery is the resting place of Glassboro's early settlers.
One gravestone is inscribed in German for Solomon Stanger (1743-1794). Some graves are marked with rough field stones without name or date.
Stone House Inn
100 South West Avenue, Wenonah
This inn was built ca. 1773 by Samuel Moffett on the Old Bark Bridge Road.
During the Revolution "Stone House" was used by patriots as a meeting place. In later years it became known as the Ballinger House.
Near here there was a skirmish at the old Bark Bridge between the tories and patriots.
Kings Highway near Ogden Road, West Deptford
An ancient abstract of title shows the house and land were owned by Thomas Reeves around the year 1800.
On Rugby Place, in the east section of Woodbury
This old brick home was built in 1745. For many years during the 19th century it was occupied by David Griscom, one of Gloucester County's first nurserymen. Many of the trees, shrubs and rare bushes in this section of the city can trace their beginnings from Griscom's plantings.
The Thomas West House
600 River Drive, Westville
This old brick house was built ca. 1775 by Thomas West, for whom Westville is named. It has been altered many times.
St. Thomas Episcopal Church and Burial Ground
Main Street at Focer Street, Glassboro
Bishop Doane laid the cornerstone of the present church on April 18, 1846. It succeeded a frame building located at the burial ground (Broadway and Main Streets).
The Thomas Carpenter House
Southwest corner Main and Martel Streets, Mantua
The timber frame, two and one-half story house has gables on the older section and a gambrel roof on the newer unit. The northern and older half was erected by Restore Eastlack, who died in 1773. It is likewise evident that Thomas Carpenter added the southern half of the house soon after he purchased it in 1787.
Trinity Episcopal church (Old Swedes)
Kings Highway (County Road 551) south of the Raccoon Creek, Swedesboro
This is the oldest deeded church property in the County and the first Lutheran congregation and Swedish church in New Jersey.
The first log church was built in 1703 as a Swedish Evangelical Lutheran parish and the present church in 1784. Because the Swedish government stopped sending ministers to America, the congregation became Episcopalian in 1786. Dr. Nicholas Collin was the last Lutheran pastor to serve here.
The interior of this venerable old church is one of the most beautiful in architectural designs. Intact are the old glass windows, old Venetian blinds, old style hardware on the entrance doors and pew doors, old oil lamps in the Chancel windows.
The pillars supporting the balcony and choir loft, show filled cracks where the green wood used in construction had split.
In 1765 the Rectory was built for the pastor. When the present Rectory was built in 1854 on the same site, the old building was removed. General Anthony Wayne during the winter of 1777-78 spent one night in this old house.
Warrington Mill Road, west of Kings Highway, Woolwich.
This is one of the last existing flour mills in the County. Built ca. 1828, the mill is unusually well preserved and has the original pegged beams and many panes of the original glass.
James Whitall, Jr. House
Grove and Lakehurst Ave., National Park
This old brick house bears the date 1766 and was apparently built by James Whitall, Jr. In 1767 James Whitall, the father, made a will deeding to James Whitall, Jr. "60 acres of upland wherein his, the said James Whitall, Jr.'s house stands, etc."
James and Ann Whitall House
100 Hessian Avenue, National Park
The Whitall Mansion, on the Delaware River at Red Bank (National Park) and on the battlefield of Fort Mercer.
James Whitall sold his plantation on Timber Creek in 1699 and purchased the plantation at Red Bank. In 1748 he built his home of brick, now known as the Whitall Mansion.
On the north gable of the house are the letters "I.A.W." and the date "1748," indicating that the builder was James Whitall. His wife Ann was a sister of John Cooper, a member of the Continental Congress in 1776. The house was caught up in the attack on Fort Mercer at Red Bank in October, 1777.
Tradition states that Ann Whitall continued to spin her yarn while the battle raged outside, and afterward nursed the injured Hessians.
Owned by the Gloucester County Board of Chosen Freeholders
29 West Street, Glassboro
The Victorian home was erected during the Civil War by Eben Whitney, II, grandfather of Mrs. Capie, and was built around a small brick home that stood on the site. Because of the scarcity of brick during the war, the original house was incorporated into the newer one, covered with clapboard and today forms the southwest portion of the Capie's home.
Wilkin's Inn or Paul Hotel
Known today (1975) as the Bull's Head Inn, 111 North Broad Street, Woodbury
Tradition claims Wilkin's Inn was built with brick left over from erection of Friends' Meeting House. Earliest records of the inn are dated 1737. It is the oldest inn in Gloucester County that has been in continual operation.
William Mullica House
Main Street, Mullica Hill
This old colonial house was formerly known as the Christopher Knisell House. William Mullica was the youngest son of Eric Mullica, founder of Mullica Hill in the late 1600's. They first settled in the pines on what is now the Mullica River.
Woodbury Friends Meeting House
North Broad Street, Woodbury
In the beginning (1686) the "Red Bank Meetings" were held on the Wood estate along Woodbury Creek near the Delaware. The present site was purchased for about three pounds in 1715. The west side was erected 1715, the east side in 1785. During the battle of Red Bank in 1777, the building was used as a hospital by the Hessians.
Owned by Woodbury Friends Church
Mullica Hill (moved from original site)
This was formerly Mullica Hill School. It was the scene of a military skirmish during the Revolution.
Zion Methodist Church
Porchtown, Franklin Township
This Church was built in 1834 with timbers felled and hewed by the members themselves. Today, the Church is known as the Porchtown Methodist Church.
Owned by Zion Methodist Church